Monday, September 13, 2010

Tryin'

My level of seriousness about photography has greatly increased over the past year. I really, really love it. What can be better than getting paid to do something you love! I'd like to, someday, turn this in to a business. Scary words to actually type out. I got a small knot in my stomach. Will I make it? Will people actually pay for my photos? I have to look at the positive side and think even if this business does not take off I enjoy doing taking pictures and I will continue to take picturess of my little boy, my friends and family. 
Sooo....with that being said, I only have a few lenses and I am interested in investing in the really good ones. I found a place where I can rent lenses for a fraction of the cost and try them all out. BorrowLenses is the place. They are fabbbulous! Located in San Carlos. Quick pick-up and quick drop-off super easy. I decided to rent the Canon EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM and the Canon Speedlite 430EX. I heard such great things from JasmineStar about this "buttery" lens. This is a pricey lens checking out at around $2k so I'm thrilled I can rent this stuff. I checked in with some people that were interested in doing some headshots, made some appointments, then booked my equipment. Boom. I was set. Unfortunately, both gigs got cancelled and I rented $75 worth of equipment and no portfolio shots. I was pretty bummed about it I have to admit. I do this for free and this is my chance to put together my portfolio. So I took pictures of my favorite subject, my 8-month baby boy. It was a lot of fun to take pictures indoors and out to really get the feel of this lens. I didn't need the flash because the light was so good. So I didn't get what I wanted out of the flash. BUT when you have a 1.2 lens you don't need to worry about light so much unless you are at a location where being indoors is pretty dark. I got a lot of fun photos with blurry backgrounds which is exactly what I wanted. Now that I have to return this lens tomorrow afternoon, I want buy one! Someday.


I took this picture after a walk with my husband and little man. There was a wedding going on at the local recreation center. I heart weddings and this gorgeous car was sitting there in the parking lot waiting for me to take a picture. The only thing I did to this picture, besides changing it to black and white, was crop it to see more of the side of the left car and the other photo i cropped to show more of the bumper and tire which I really love.





No comments:

Post a Comment